We are looking at the tasks required by a Control Systems Engineer. Your input will be appreciated in order to assist and guide us in the establishment of an Automation Discipline.
- Controls Engineer
- Process Control Engineer
- Instrument & Controls Engineer
- Systems Engineer
- Automation Systems Engineer
- Manufacturing Automation Engineer
- Instrumentation & Electrical Engineer.
Domain I: Measurement and Control Element Devices; Device Signals and Transmission Media
- Task 1: Select, specify, and design the installation of measurement devices to measure and analyze physical and chemical properties.
- Task 2: Select, specify, and design the installation of control element devices to manipulate flows, energy, positions, speeds, and other variables.
- Task 3: Design and install wiring to reliably communicate information between measurement and control element devices and control equipment
- Task 4: Calibrate, troubleshoot, test, repair, and improve sensing, measurement, and actuation devices.
Domain II: System Design
- Task 1: Perform safety and/or hazard analyses, security analyses, and regulatory compliance assessments by identifying key issues and risks in order to comply with applicable
standards, policies, and regulations.
- Task 2: Establish standards, templates, and guidelines as applied to the automation system using the information gathered in the definition stage and considering human-factor effects in order to satisfy customer design criteria and preferences.
- Task 3: Create detailed equipment specifications and instrument data sheets based on vendor selection criteria, characteristics and conditions of the physical environment,
regulations, and performance requirements in order to purchase equipment and support system design and development.
- Task 4: Define the data structure layout and data flow model considering the volume and type of data involved in order to provide specifications for hardware selection and software development.
- Task 5: Select the physical communication media, network architecture, and protocols based on data requirements in order to complete system design and support system
- Task 6: Develop a functional description of the automation solution (e.g., control scheme, alarms, HMI, reports) using rules established in the definition stage in order to
guide development and programming.
- Task 7: Design the test plan using chosen methodologies in order to execute appropriate testing relative to functional requirements.
- Task 8: Perform the detailed design for the project by converting the engineering and system design into purchase requisitions, drawings, panel designs, and installation details
consistent with the specification and functional descriptions in order to provide detailed information for development and deployment.
- Task 9: Prepare comprehensive construction work packages by organizing the detailed design information and documents in order to release project for construction.
Domain III: Development – Software development and coding
- Task 1: Develop Human Machine Interface (HMI) in accordance with the design documents in order to meet the functional requirements
- Task 2: Develop database and reporting functions in accordance with the design documents in order to meet the functional requirements
- Task 3: Develop control configuration or programming in accordance with the design documents in order to meet the functional requirements
- Task 4: Implement data transfer methodology that maximizes throughput and ensures data integrity using communication protocols and specifications in order to assure efficiency and reliability
- Task 5: Implement security methodology in accordance with stakeholder requirements in order to mitigate loss and risk
- Task 6: Review configuration and programming using defined practices in order to establish compliance with functional requirements
- Task 7: Test the automation system using the test plan in order to determine compliance with functional requirements
- Task 8: Assemble all required documentation and user manuals created during the development process in order to transfer essential knowledge to customers and end users